11.18.2007

The Deck Is My Back Yard

This apartment has a really great deck off the back and two doors leading out: one from the living room the other from the kitchen. It was empty and in need of sweeping when I moved in. I knew I'd get good results from gardening it, but I had no idea it would look as good as it does. I am really infatuated with how nicely it came out. The matting on the floor and the screen against the rail came from a roll of chinese bamboo that I bought at Home Depot, it was inexpensive and you got sixteen feet worth. I got all of my plants at Home Depot too. HD down here seems to have a much better selection of plants at much better prices, I assume that this is because of the lack of local nurseries, regardless I was very excited. The white box-bench is a piece of trash I found on the sidewalk in Cambridge. I grabbed it and with a little mending courtesey of my father and a little refinishing and repainting on my part it came out great. Its the perfect little place to keep all of my gardening supplies. The deck is no where near as big as the back yard and garden at home, but it sure is a lot easier to water!

Plants include: Majesty Palm, Fern, Cotron (orange, green and yellow leafy plant)Mums, Pumpkins, Pansies, Snapdragons, Oleander (tall in the corner) and a gardenia bush. It's gotten too cold at night now to leave the plants outside so I've moved everything in. The gardenia is blooming and smells awesome - the snapdragons have loads of flowers on them too.







2 comments:

andrea said...

yay!!!!! it is so, so fun to get to see what your place looks like. and it looks lovely. i just hope i get to visit soon and see it myself. :)

Kate Wells said...

seriously - why can't I keep my plants alive? Yours looks awesome.