5.27.2007

Memorial Day Weekend 70- 80 Degrees and Sunny!

So today I got up at 8am and pretty much went straight to working on the yard. Of course I first had to let the birds out for their morning flight and have my cup of coffee, but then I was off in the car and on my way to get dirt and plants, switching the radio between all Elvis Sunday Morning and Country Oldies. It was a great day. The forecast was for cloudy skies, but the sun was bright and warm all day and felt awesome to work out in. Right now it's 7:51pm and I have been going for almost 10 hours straight. As I was cleaning up my tools, trash etcetera a hummingbird flew right at me and then literally two inches just past my face, I turned to watch him and he made a quick stop at the new hanging petunias and was on his way. Man are they fast! It was amazing. I was happy to discover that there is a bird who has made a nest where last Summer's Catbird/Robin nest was. I couldn't see in well enough, but I think it's the catbird again. However, now that I think of it, this morning I saw a Robin sitting near that bush and I was thinking she must have a nest nearby. Wouldn't that be wild if this turned out to be some totally unique catbird/robin family? Moving on, I got soooo much done today. An enormous list of yard work which involved hauling 40lb bags of dirt, compost and bark mulch and planting loads of things which include: snapdragons, marigolds, geraniums, hanging vinca, hanging petunias and new guinea inpatients. I also sowed some seeds: moon flowers, morning glories, 4 O'clocks, sunflowers and zinnias. I was pretty much finished up when that humming bird buzzed right past me and I have to say it was the perfect note to end the day. I was just sitting there looking at the yard and I felt so happy. I had a bit of a shit year last year, but since the end of last September I have been happier than I have ever been in my life. It's just this super amazing feeling and I can't get over it. I am so grateful; I have been waiting three years now to be able to live back home and enjoy the yard w/out the burden of working two jobs. I love it here and I am overwhelmed with how wonderful of an experience my life is.

2 comments:

Kate Wells said...

were you high when you wrote this? you're way too happy.

andrea said...

dottie, you and i don't talk nearly enough anymore, and i just had to tell you how much it makes my day to read this! i am so glad that things are going well and you are feeling so happy about the world. thanks for a nice start to my day. :) xoxo andrea